The National Coalition of Independent Scholars is pleased to offer the NCIS Research Grant to help finance our members' research projects. The grant will be $250, and based upon merit, will be awarded twice a year (three times a year from 2018).
Please note that you need to have been a paid-up Full Member of NCIS for 18 months prior to the date of application. Associate members are not eligible for NCIS Research Grants.
- Engagement in a substantial research project within a recognized field of scholarship, whose results are intended for publication.
- Current paid-up NCIS full membership, and continuous membership for the 18 months prior to application.
- Grantees are expected to remain members in good standing for at least one year following the award.
- Applicants may not have received this award during the 18 months prior to submission.
- Application Form
- statement of up to 2 pages that describes your research project. Please address the below “Judging Criteria” in this statement. Please also include what tangible product this award would help generate (e.g., an essay, a book chapter, a video, etc.).
- statement of up to 2 pages that describes your timeline for successful completion of the proposed project.
- Curriculum Vitae
- Statement of expenses, and list of other sources of grant support, if any.
- Scope of project (should be limited enough to ensure solid and timely progress)
- Intellectual significance
- Contribution to field
- Scholarly methodology
- Expertise/qualifications of applicant in relevant field
- Potential for successful completion
- October 1 for the Fall Award
- April 1 for the Spring Award
- Awards will be announced and issued approx. 1 November and 1 May respectively.
- List “National Coalition of Independent Scholars” as your affiliation (or co-affiliation) in any resulting publications.
- Acknowledge the grant support from NCIS in any resulting publication.
- Submit a description of your project (with a photo if possible) to firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com so we can publish it. Your report may appear on NCIS social media, in The Independent Scholar (item on NCIS grantees) or in any other NCIS publication, digital or print.
To download and/or print an application, please click on the following link Research Grant Application.